Is your next step baptism? We are so excited about our Baptism Celebrations. We want to encourage you to invite family and friends to be part of this special moment. Tell them it will be like going to a pool party with a baptism, so encourage them to dress casually. There will be lite refreshments served also. Our Baptism Celebration will last about 30 minutes. If you have any questions, please call/text 713.501.5245.
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF BAPTISM?
- It illustrates Christ´s burial and resurrection. “For when you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism you were also raised with Christ.” – Col. 2:12
- It illustrates my new life as a Christian. “By our baptism then, we were buried with Him and shared His death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead… so also we may live a new life!” –Rom. 6:4
Baptism doesn´t make you a believer – it shows that you already believe. Baptism does not “save” you, only your faith in Christ does that. Baptism is like a wedding ring – it´s the outward symbol of the commitment you make in your heart.
“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith… it is the gift of God – not by works, so that no one can boast.” – Ephesians 2:8,9
WHY BE BAPTIZED BY IMMERSION?
- Because Jesus was baptized that way… “As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water.” – Matt. 3:16
- Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion. The word Baptize means “To dip under water.” The Greek work Baptizo means “To immerse or dip under water”. It best symbolized a burial and resurrection!
- The founders of denominations agree: Martin Luther… “I would have those who are to be baptized to be entirely immersed, as the work imports and the mystery signifies.” John Calvin
WHO SHOULD BE BAPTIZED?
- Every person who has believed in Christ. “Those who believe and accepted His message were baptized…” – Acts 2:41
- At Life Pointe, we wait until our children are old enough to believe and understand the true meaning of baptism before we baptize them. Some churches practice a “baptism of confirmation” for children. This ceremony is intended to be a covenant between the parents and God on the behalf of the child. The parents promise to raise their child in the faith until the child is old enough to make his own personal confession of Christ. This custom began about 300 years after the Bible was completed.
This is different from the baptism talked about in the Bible which was only for those old enough to believe. The purpose is to publicly confess your personal commitment to Christ. At Life Pointe, it is a membership requirement that every member be baptized the way Jesus demonstrated, even though many of us were “confirmed” as children.
If the purpose of Baptism is to publicly identify a believer in Jesus Christ, you may well be asking yourself, “What was the significance of my Baptism as a baby?” In the Bible, we find parents bringing their children to Jesus. He held them and prayed for them and told us to welcome them. But He did not baptize them, and He did not tell anyone else to baptize them. Baptism is for those who have made a personal decision to trust Christ alone for their salvation. If you were baptized as a child, it was the intent of your parents that you would one day be a follower of Christ. Your Baptism as an adult can be viewed as the fulfillment of your parents’ wishes. It in no way repudiates the Baptism you received as a child.
WHEN SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED?
There is no reason to delay. As soon as you have decided to receive Christ into your life, you can and should be baptized. If you wait until you are “perfect”, you´ll never feel “good enough”!
CAN MY FAMILY BE BAPTIZED TOGETHER?
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR WHEN I AM BAPTIZED?
WILL I HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY?
WHAT IF I HAVE SPECIAL NEEDS?
We meet every Sunday from
10:15 – 11:20 a.m. at:
19506 Vicksburg Blvd.
Missouri City, TX 77459
for more information